The Care Allowance represents one of the most important results obtained in the field of severe disability and nursing care in Italy in almost forty years.
The growing number of recipients in these decades, their distribution by age group, and transfer amount indicate how this scheme, initially thought of in the 1980s as a supplementary instrument for the support of young people and adults with disabilities, in a network of public services of a varying nature has now reached a vast and diverse plateau of needs and recipients.
The resources invested in this programme are not insignificant and consistently exceed 10 billion euro. Now is the time to consider joined-up thinking to improve the efficiency of the system, guaranteeing a greater integration between this instrument and the network of services.
Emmanuele Pavolini, OCIS and Università degli Studi di Macerata
– Massimo Campedelli, Università Sant’Anna di Pisa and member of Easy Care Foundation Scientific Committee
– Nina Daita, Department for Disability Policies, CGIL Nazionale
– Vincenzo Falabella, President of FISH Onlus
– Marco Ghersevich, Director of Civil Department, INPS
– Luca Vecchi, Mayor of Reggio Emilia Municipality and ANCI representative for Welfare and Social Policies
Facilitator: Augusto Battaglia